My name is Paul Hoekman. I am passionate about open collaboration initiatives, exploring the challenges and opportunities around urban sustainability, and learning from and about nature.
In my work, I have been involved in a variety of initiatives and projects. I have (co-) founded a number of companies and non-profits, and my roles have included that of manager, researcher, web developer, teacher, and consultant.
Between 2018-2022 I was the Executive Director at the International Society for Industrial Ecology. My academic focus continues to relate to industrial ecology, and I am involved in a number of urban metabolism teaching and research projects run by Metabolism of Cities.
I grew up in The Netherlands but spent my adult life in Nicaragua, South Africa and Colombia. I enjoy nature photography and am currently trying to learn more about the fauna and flora in the Valle de Aburrá, Colombia.
Unless stated otherwise, all content created by me, Paul Hoekman, and published on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
That means that you are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests that I endorse you or your use.
Examples of content that is not created by me and therefore not licensed by me includes:
- Logos of other platforms/organizations.
- Icons -- these come from Font Awesome
- Photos and images used in my blog, when not created by me (credits are generally listed within the blog post itself)